What is Dry Eye?
It’s a condition marked by inadequate eye lubrication due to tear ducts not producing enough tears, or tears evaporating too quickly. A lot of people have these symptoms, which is not usually a serious condition but could be a miserable one. It’s much more common among older people but it can happen to anyone. There are two main reasons for dry eye.
Either your eyes don’t make enough tears or your tears aren’t sticking around enough to keep your eyes moist. You can have one type of dry eye and you can also have both at the same time. The consequences range from subtle but constant eye irritation to significant inflammation and even scratching of the front surface of the eye
One of the most common eye conditions worldwide is dry eye and it is a primary reason to visit the eye doctor. In a review published in the journal of Global Health, researchers reported that studies have shown the prevalence of dry eyes ranges from 5 percent to as high as 50 percent in different populations across the world.
The researchers felt the large variation may be due to disparities in diagnostic criteria of different studies, unique characteristics of the investigated populations, and other factors. Risk factors for dry eye syndrome included advanced age, female sex, and computer use.
Factors associated with these symptoms
- Frequent use of computer
- Wearing of contact lens
- The age, especially those above the age of 50
- Constant use of air conditioners, ceiling fans, etc
- Arid climates, dry or windy weather
- Frequent use of airplanes
- Health conditions like diabetes, thyroid-associated diseases.
- Medications: prescribed and non-prescribed medicines that have antihistamines
- Eyelid problem
How To Avoid It?
- Don’t smoke
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol
- Make sure you don’t spend too much time in a smoky, dry, or dusty place
- Avoid spending too much time in an air-conditioned place or heated rooms- try to turn the air conditioner off in your car, office, home, when you can.
Even if you have a dry eye you can make yourself more comfortable. Visit Chadderton Optician to confirm that you are suffering from dry eye and get the best service to get your eyes more comfortable.